Monday, May 24, 2010

Finding Satisfaction

I look around my messy livingroom filled with kids' toys, blankets, and children. I think for a moment "How lucky I am". I do this hundreds of times a day. I am lucky. I am extremely happy and satisfied with my life.

What if I wasn't?

What if I hit a mental satisfaction plateau? What if I found my husband, my children, my job, my life to be less than I want, even if it's everything I need?

I think this sense of need to be completely satisfied every minute of every day is what causes most of the misery in my generation - those of us who live in North America, at least.

We see divorce, abortion, financial instability as necessary, because we feel like we DESERVE to be totally happy in all areas of our lives all the time. Nothing is worth living through, nothing is worth fighting for. Nothing is worth anything, except our own happiness. If you don't feel absolutely fulfilled in your marriage, get a divorce. If a child would be inconvenient, abort. If you aren't totally content and appreciated in your job, quit.

It's "the grass is always greener" taken to its final extreme where we are persuaded to chase dreams rather than to live reality.

And it's causing more pain, more depression, and more horror in more lives than any of us would like to admit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ponderings...